Sunday, August 9, 2009

American Falls Day

Yesterday was American Falls Day. It's a day celebrating our community. There is a parade in the morning, which is actually pretty big considering how small our town is, followed by a bunch of activities in the city park. There is a car show, food, craft and game booths, and it's basically a great time to spend the day with family and friends.

I decided back around Christmas to have a booth in the park to showcase my wares. I thought that if I gave myself January through August to work on things that I would be able to get a lot done.

I tried, I really did. I sold a lot of things throughout the year, which wiped out my inventory, and I also had a household to run and four kids to raise.

During July, I was back and forth on whether or not I wanted to even have a booth. I wasn't sure if I wanted the extra stress and responsibility. On one hand, I had the opportunity to make a good deal of money for my family. On the other hand, it would be so much work and there was no guarantee that I would even sell anything.

I actually made the decision to not have a booth, then my mom told me that my sister had been working really hard at making her beaded watches to sell at the booth that we were going to share.

Okay, then. I guess I'll do a booth. : )

I spent all of last week working every day, night and into the wee hours. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, for instance I had no quilts at all, but I got a fair amount finished.

Here are some pictures of our booth.


My mom made the afghan on the right. I wish she could have sold it, but it did have lots of admirers. Those are the four Knotted Purses that I have finished, but I'm working on about five or six more.




Here are some of the receiving blanket and burp cloth bundles that I had. I made ten of them in just a few days. My favorites were the John Deere ones, but I have a little guy who loves tractors so I may be a little biased. : )




This was my little Indian camp. : ) The Tee Pees got a lot of smiles out of everyone who stopped to read the sign.




Left to right in this picture are burp cloths, some toddler suspenders I made as a display to see if there was any interest and my diaper/wipe/changing pad thingies. Again, I wish that I would have had more finished. I would have sold at least three more of the changing pads if I'd had some in boy colors.




Five of my Buttercup bags. I bought the pattern for them on madebyrae.blogspot.com and I love them! I've made several as gifts and one for myself, plus I have about ten more in various stages of completion.


My only regret is that I didn't get more of them done or that I had done one from each of the different color families. As it ended up, I had a lot of red and a little bit of a pink/yellow/green combination.




These are the beaded watch bands that my sister makes. She is very talented and creative. While I tend to lean toward sewing, she is wonderful at scrapbooking, painting, beading, designing and coordinating - you name it! She is going to make some bracelets for me. I'm really excited! I love bracelets, but my wrists are just a tiny bit too big for most store-bought bracelets.


If you are interested in any of my sister's products, just let me know and I can connect you with her.

I didn't do as well as I would have liked to do. I sold two bundles, one changing pad thingy and about twenty Tee Pees. If you see something in the above pictures that you like, chances are that I still have it. If you live in the area you can get it directly from Lucky's Grill. If you don't live nearby, contact me and I can get you the item(s) you want.

While I didn't sell as much as I would have liked to sell, I did hand out a lot of business cards and take a couple of custom orders.

Go team Jules!

No comments:

Post a Comment