Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Monster Quilt is Finally Done!

This quilt started out as an experiment with applique. I have wanted to try it for a while but have been too intimidated. I got the idea for a monster quilt from Little Birdie Secrets. Their monsters inspired some of mine and the remainder I made up. Each piece is hand drawn, cut out and fused, then machine stitched. There was a ton of time involved in the making of this quilt but it was a lot of fun and I love the end results!

I also used this quilt as an opportunity to try out a few other firsts, namely basting spray and stipple quilting. The basting spray was nice and I think I'll be using it again in the future. The stipple quilting took a while to get used to. I had trouble getting the tension right and there were issues with the top looking great but the back being too tight. Also, I learned the value of good quality thread. I thought that I was using good stuff but after it broke innumerable times and I finally switched to a different brand, I was much more pleased with the results.

All in all, it was a great learning experience and I'm very proud of the end results! I think that for a quilt that started out as just an experiment it turned out very well. If I was asked to make one of these for someone, I'm not sure what I would charge because I worked on this quilt off and on for over six months and didn't pay attention to the total amount of hours put in, but I'm sure there were a lot of them! If you're interested, let me know and we'll work something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment