Wednesday, December 15, 2010

T-Shirt Quilt

A friend asked me if I could put together some old t-shirts of her dad's into a quilt. Most of the pieces were already cut from the shirt. There were a few that came from jerseys, duffel bags and hats. Her dad used to coach high school football and now works as a scout for college football.




I fused each piece to Wonder Under (I love that stuff!) and then squared up the edges of each one. I left a one to two inch border all the way around most of the shirt fronts . Then I fused the pieces onto an 18 inch square of quilter's cotton and satin stitched the edges.

When I started this project, I thought that I would end up with a throw-sized quilt. It ended up being 93"x103" which is King sized!

I didn't quilt this project. I have mostly used my machine to quilt baby quilts and the occasional twin sized quilts and I have found that the bigger the quilt is, the more of a headache it is to quilt it on my machine. My friend will take it to a long arm quilter to have it finished.

I have found a local quilt shop that offers lessons on their long arm machines and then allows you to rent them in four or five hour blocks. I may look into doing that sometime next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment